April 16, 2011

Why Does Spring Mean Home Invaders?


Oh yeah! Spring blooms are popping up all over the garden here! Sorry to my pals who told us they woke up to the shock of the dreaded white stuff haunting the ground this morning at their homes. Here is a peek at what your missing! Jealous? You know it!
[Read More... ]


 I'm not the only one excited. Lots of birds are hanging around our house chirping their happy little song early in the morning! Do you know what that means? Their squawking gets Mom up earlier to feed me! Perfect. I don't have to stand on her chest to demand my morning meal! So far this week we have had visits from blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, and robins. Yes... now about those robins, grrr!
The other day I watched a robin fly up to the ledge above my door. I decided to go to the window and check out what he was up to. He appeared to be carrying twigs and making a big mess right above the patio door. I needed to alert Mom "HOME INTRUDER HOME INVASION" till she let me out. When I got outside I tried to reason with this dude! Not the brightest Dad to be! I mean it's right over my stash of air dog balls. How are those babies going to sleep with me barking and chasing balls all day? This is a big problem for a few reasons.

  1. Smack outside the door Becky and I use 100x a day
  2. Only 5 feet over my treasured tennis balls
  3. Easy access from the roof by the squirrels and raccoons who love to eat eggs
  4. Becky is all spaniel Mom says - that means baby birds are walking dinner
  5. The last robin this close to the house dive bombed at Mom's head all summer


Becky was no help to me at all! She's not fooling me - mischief follows her like ducks in tow behind the Mother duck. She was running around like a demon picking up all the twigs Mr. Robin was dropping. Becky claimed "I am such a sensitive soul worrying about those poor babies so I am gathering twigs to help!" Nonsense I told Mom, look at her snacking on that branch hiding in the kitchen! The girl needs to grow up and develop a passion for delicacies like pine cones. 


Sadly, we really did need to take down the robins nest for the birds safety and ours. Mom said from start to finish Mr. Robin had only spent about 2 hours building it before night fell. So when Mr. Robin had gone off to bed Dad took the nest down. The next morning Mr. Robin was on the fence and confused as can be. He kept staring at the spot where his nest used to be.


Mom let me out to bark and cause a commotion. Hey I am good at that! He got the point, this was not a very safe place for his babies. He built a great new nest in no time in the large pine tree in our yard. MUCH safer spot Mr. Robin and I promise to keep an eye out for Becky when it's time for your babies to learn to fly!

Sigh. Equilibrium has been restored to my backyard.

What's that? Who goes there! Oh dear, does this Easter Bunny not know anything?
  1. We aren't allowed chocolate
  2. Becky is faster than a hare!
Here we go again... ALERT MOMMY. INTRUDER. HOME INVASION.


~ Keep Sniffing, Love Kodee


17 Comments:

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

Wow! You've been busy! Keep on protecting your home! You can never be too careful!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Kristin G. said...

I'm glad you got the whole nest situation smoothed out. It's definitely better to be in a safe spot. Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I did move the blog from Blogger to WordPress about 5 weeks ago. Maybe that has messed up the feed. We're at http://xdogsrockx.com now. Please give that a try if you get a chance, and let me know how it goes. Thanks for pointing out the issue. I enjoyed your springtime photos. Have a great weekend!!

houndstooth said...

You've got a lot of work to do on Homeland Security over there! I can send Morgan over to help, if you need it. She's no good against the birds, but she can scare those rabbits off for you for sure!

Bunny

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Beautiful pictures! Great work at doing the home security detail. It pays to be careful!! Lots of love, Holly and mom

georgia little pea said...

Funny! We know all about home invasions too. My Typist saved a little baby birdie once, that fell out of its nest in the roof gutter, and its mama dive bombed her all summer. Haha! The bunny invasion is much cuter than our rats though.

Wyatt said...

We think Robins are kinda dumb. Every year they build their nests in low growing shrubs and on the rafters of our dog kennel. When the fledglings learn to fly, Stanzie is right there waiting for them. We have tried to discourage them, but they keep trying to nest in those places....Woof!

Wyatt and Stanzie

AJ of PupLove said...

Stoppin' by on the hop... good work keeping those intruders at bay! Especially that rabbit... he's got shifty eyes. ;)

MB (Embee Cavaliers) said...

Love the garden pictures, and the robin. ohhh and Becky with her stick.. but my favourite is the bunny!. Mylee and Zo were hot on the heels of a bunny this morning. The very lucky bunny ran head first into Zo who didn't have a clue what to do and waited for it to start running again.. lol.

KimT said...

Hah! You wake up your mom the same way I do mine! It works, doesn't it?
I'm impressed with your dedication to keeping guard; it's our duty to warn the humans of intruders, and you do it well!

Soggibottom said...

Babies need protection. :-)
We have head banging blackbirds on our mirrors in the garden. Have to cover them up before they knock themselves out.
As for tweeting, great to hear early the morning isn't it ! NOT.... :-)
We don't sing very well in the morning either :-) :-) Lots of luv AMES. I don't get breakfast, I get a mouldy old cookie........ :-) yeah right, believe that you believe anything ! :-)x

Chicco said...

Hello!
Oh beautiful photos....and splendid flours!!!
Happy sunday!
Woof,woof,

Chicco

jen said...

I absolutely love the picture of Kodee looking out the window at the nest! That is priceless!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a lot of excitement in your house!! A birdie building a nest over your door?! That would totally freak me out too. Am glad to hear that the Daddy Robin decided to relocate in the end! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Remington said...

Great shots! You certainly have a busy life, my friend!

Pup Fan said...

Wonderful photos!

Anonymous said...

Cute cute.. no birds are safe here at all with 9 bird dogs living on property, and the rabbits have learned to stay outside the electric fence or only come out late at night.
Lovely spring photos, I miss having flowers in my yard to photograph. Sounds like your pups are doing well
happy tuesday
Anna
www.akginspiration.com

Preobrazhenskii said...

Wow, captivating photo's. A delight to see.

About Me

My photo
Loving life with family and friends while exploring my passions; writing and photography. All with my two, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in tow on day-trips along the Greater Toronto Area waterfront trails and local communities.

Add Miss Kodee On FlickR

MissKodee. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Bark'n About © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger. Adapted from www.templatelite.com Wordpress Themes

Go to TOP of page