September 24, 2010

Whitby Heritage Days

Last weekend we scurried to downtown Whitby for Heritage Day celebrations. Before I tell you about it, check out that poor dude in the photo to the left. Man was he stuffed! He didn't really have a lot to say and he smelled like the stuff thrown about a country vegetable garden. Becky was going to nibble on his pants. I told her to leave him be, he had enough worries. It was apparent his owners had tied him to a post and LEFT him!

The streets looked like an old fashioned farmers market. Mouth watering stuff folks; fresh baked goods, veggies, fruits, kettle popcorn, and honey. Becky and I love kids and today they were a pretty excited bunch while they explored the wagon tours, pony rides, railway trains, and crafts.
[Read More...]
 
But what really caught my eye was the streets crawling with us pooches; big ones, barking ones, cute ones, snarly ones - it was a doggy sniffing event!
 

Now this pup has the right doghouse to view all the activities! He was hanging out a second story apartment building taking in the festivities below!


Then we saw IT!... No, this is so wrong! Mom was sad. Read what the CBC had to say in it's report on "How much do you know about that puppy in the window".

Mom smiled when she saw the second store with their furry puppies in the window.


Suddenly I smelt a herd of unusual creatures and when I turned the corner they were everywhere! Llamas, chickens, rabbits and many exotic animals I have never seen before. Mom talked to a few people and found out it was Nova's Ark. This is a special gathering place; a sanctuary where people of all ages learn understanding through interaction with various animals. 
Nova's Ark began as a dream by former special education facilitator and current elementary school principal Mary-Ann Nova. Nova's Ark is a registered charity providing stimulating experiences for people of all ages and abilities involving a wide range of exotic, gentle animals. The volunteer peer mentors are a key factor in the successful integration of our visitors with the animals, allowing for unique and positive memorable experiences.
Nova's Ark is committed to building acceptance of people of all ages and abilities by providing opportunities for understanding. The wide range of activities and programs involving unique and gentle animals will:

• create individualized experiences to stimulate communication and social interactions to meet the specific requirements of individuals with special needs;
• build character through respect for all life;
• teach character values and life lessons with examples from animals;
• develop youth leadership experiences that promote awareness, acceptance and friendship.
~ Keep Sniffing, Love Kodee

Go Fetch: Information on the animals in our Nova's Ark snapshot above
Sheep
American Fuzzy Lop Rabbit
Lemur
Prehensile-tailed Porcupine


8 Comments:

The Daily Pip said...

Nova's Ark sounds like a wonderful place. I love those pretend puppies in the window!

Your pal, Pip

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! You might be totally right about me having Cavalier in my bloodlines! I'm a mix so mom doesn't really know! Love your pictures very much!! Lots of love, Holly and mom

Soggibottom said...

On this comment I am stuffed to, as I have been laughing so much, fell off my chair.
Amie would have done except she is asleep :-) x x x

Remington said...

GREAT post, my friend! Love the pics. Thanks for sharing.

Chewy said...

Hi

thanks for the comment on my blog. You know I was thinking the exact same thing there..... you are so adorable.

Paws and Licks
Chewy

Rouky said...

Wonderful post! The pictures are SO beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh, that looks like such a quaint event! Love the picture of the doggie hanging out of the window!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Sage said...

What a great place to have a celebration! It sounds like loads of fun!

Oh, and I gave you an award! You can pick it up, along with the rules, at http://sagechronicles.wordpress.com/.

About Me

My photo
Loving life with family and friends while exploring my passions; writing and photography. All with my two, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in tow on day-trips along the Greater Toronto Area waterfront trails and local communities.

Add Miss Kodee On FlickR

MissKodee. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Bark'n About © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger. Adapted from www.templatelite.com Wordpress Themes

Go to TOP of page